Friday 17 February 2017

Speaking From The Heart

Ronald walked through the backdoor of the three bedroom apartment he shares with his wife and their three months old baby boy. He was trying to avoid the interaction that would ensue with his neighbors who were having a get together with their friends and family. Although this move was uncanny, it was accepted by his wife but she couldn’t miss the hurt in his eyes when he spoke, even though he tried so hard to appear courageous. He looked dejected and downcast. Pushed a little further by his wife, he finally opened up that he had just had his last day with the company he works for. He had only been informed of this situation less than an hour to the close of business for the day by the Human Resources Manager.


Speaking objectively and subjectively, that was cruel and unethical. That was a horrific move made by the management of his now defunct organisation. Things should have been handled differently. If not for anything, then take into consideration the tireless nature he employed during the course of his time with the firm.
Should things have been done differently? Yes. Can things be done differently you ask? Yes.
What happened to transparency? Why conduct a Staff Appraisal and then falsely inform member of staff that the appraisal had no ramification? Maybe I’m a bit sentimental with my approach to this or maybe I don’t understand the cooperate world as much as I thought I did but I’m speaking from the heart; saying it exactly how I see it.
Maybe I should have done some research online about the Dos and Donts when it comes to termination of employment. Maybe there’ll be a remedy to the cruelty I feel has been bestowed on Ronald. But I’m not taking the route, I’m rather going to give one opinion on what I believe should be considered “Best Practice in Dealing with Firing an Employee”
  • Firing an employee should NEVER EVER be a surprise (unless in cases of gross misconduct)

This is my reality. My truth syrup. My mind's eye!!!!



By O-Mat*

No comments:

Post a Comment